Sunday, August 24, 2014

Melasma


WHAT IS MELASMA?
Melasma is a very common skin condition which affects millions of people in the US, primarily women because it's hormone related. It causes brown to gray-brown patches or splotches on the face, neck and forearms, and can be very unsightly and difficult to camouflage with make-up (an orange-based corrector cream works best. You can even try blending-in orange pigment, like orange lipstick or an orangy concealer. Blend the makeup into the skin, then brighten the skin up with foundation or a non-orange concealer that is 2 shades lighter than your skin tone. The goal is to temporarily "erase" the pigmentation on an effort to camouflage the staining).

Also referred to as "pregnancy mask", since it affects many women during pregnancy (a hormone frenzy), what exactly causes Melasma in the first place is a bit of an enigma. Aside from pregnancy, it can be induced by the use of hormone therapy, birth control pills, anti-seizure medication and SUN EXPOSURE.

If you have or think you have Melasma, consult with a board certified Dermatologist, however, your first line of defense should be a "broad spectrum" sun screen (minimum 30) applied to the face EVERY DAY. Broad spectrum protects your skin against UVA and UVB rays; my favorite sunscreens are the "physical" versions which contain Zinc or Titanium Dioxide. Sun protection needs to be perpetual skin maintenance. It's not only about the UVA/UVB rays either. The sun's infra-red rays (which by the way penetrate glass) feeds Melasma, aggravating and worsening the situation. Yes, Melasma gets worse with heat, that's why I never recommend laser therapy to treat it, as lasers produce heat energy.  This is called "heat induced pigmentation" and can affect skin even whilst wearing a hat. Hats protect the face from sun exposure, but the heat generated from the hat itself and from the sun's radiation can deepen the pigmentation, yikes! So what does one need to do, live in a cave?

TREATMENT:
Many at-home and over-the-counter treatments (such as acid exfoliators and OTC lightening creams) may aggravate  the situation and darken the pigmentation over time, so if you have a Melasma it's important to address the situation with your  Dermatologist first. Your doctor may prescribe a protocol using both lightening creams (containing 4% Hydroquinone) as well as a series of controlled chemical peels. There is an amazing over the counter oral supplement called "Helioplex" which is botanical based (it is derived from the fern plant) and protects the skin against the effects of the sun. It is IMPORTANT to note that if you take Helioplex, it is NOT a substitute for sunscreen. However, if you are prone to Melasma (and sun burn) and spend a lot of time in the sun, this OTC supplement is a terrific  "added" protection protocol that I highly recommend. 

BEST LASER FOR MELASMA:
Laser energy is hot, and a laser with too much heat can actually intensify the pigment. The same theory applies to the radiation one gets through glass (from the sun), as well as heat exposure in general. So a cool laser can be used in conjunction with the other aforementioned treatments. 

"Clear & Brilliant Laser" is a mini fractional laser which is a cool laser and works well because on Melasma because it's not as hot as other lasers, but is incredibly efficient at treating pigmentation issues. Although you may require several treatments due to it's conservative level of energy, some  patients see major results after only one treatment. 

For more information about Melasma or the Clear & Brilliant laser, contact your board certified Dermatologist. 

For daily skin-care and beauty tips, follow me, @Beauty and Brow Girl 
IG, FB, Twitter, Periscope & Tumbler

-CIAO for now  xo

18 comments:

  1. Keep inspiring your readers, helpful for lots of Melasma Treatment peoples. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hormone-related diseases are very common especially in women and young girls. Thanks for suggesting the treatment and the best laser for Melasma. Good read indeed. Must read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Symptoms and causes of Melasma is Skin discoloration. Melasma Natural Treatment the best way to help those suffering from skin problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The common approach for Treatment of Melasma removal involves sunscreen, bleach and time. The most important and conventional way of treating Melasma is sun protection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using it for a few weeks and I've already seen a difference. lazma cream

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melasma is a condition characterized by brown marks and uneven skin pigmentation especially on the face. Melasma Treatment helps in getting back skin with no spots and pigmentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The information you provided was fantastic! It helped me alot. Your expertise saved us so much time.
    Best Treatments For Melasma On Face And Its Benefits

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sending this info. I learned alot from it. I am grateful for the amount of time and effort you put into this helping us.
    Melasma Causes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the details about Melasma and allergic details
    Best medicine for Melasma
    check out more at Online Generic Medicine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m here to testify about what Dr James did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 4 years and had constant pain and itching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it really helped during my outbreaks but I totally got cured! from my HSV with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from Dr James herbal mix and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system and I was tested negative after 15 days of using Dr James herbal medicine. I'm here to let y'all know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr James herbal medicine. I came across a testimony of Kasha, on the internet testifying about Dr James , on how he cured Him from 7 years HSV 2. And He also gave the email address of this man... [drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com]..., advising anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help with, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I'm going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him. I have faith he can cure me too,, Dr James prepared and sent me his herbal medicine made of roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after 15 days I drank his herbal medicine, I was totally cured. no more itching , pain on me anymore as Dr James assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test. the result came out negative. So friends my advice is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like Melasma, Shingles, HPV, HBV, HIV/AIDS, ALS, HBP, CANCER,NEPHROTIC SYNDROME HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic cancers, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Autism,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis ,Tach Diseases,Lupus,Backache,dementia.kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer.testicular Cancer, , LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN . , etc. you can contact Dr James directly on his.... [drjamesherbalmix@gamil.com]... He is a good man,and He will help you

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very help blog you have shared about MELASMA. It will certainly help a lot in making decision in skin care.

    Hey guys, I have got this website which give incentives just by signing up.
    So, hurry up guys it pays a fortune every month.

    Click on the link and start earning
    Aussie paid surveys

    ReplyDelete